Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Background of Writer

I am a first generation Peruvian/Italian. Born and raised in Los Angeles. My Brother and I would ride our bikes all day long in the summer time and when my Dad came home we always seemed to find ourselves on the other end of travel town and back up again. Growing up in Los Feliz made me appreciate and realize that no two houses could possibly be the same. I didn't know all the names of all the styles but I sure got to know them as I raced passed them on my bike. Our second home was two houses down from where we lived and I thought we moved into some middle eastern house. I eventually learned it was moorish and learned to appreciate the style. My Mom at the time went through the mirror era placing mirrors throughout the house including the fridge and one of my favorites "the Moorish Ace of mirrors"! Since many Moorish designs carry a design typical to the spade, growing up it was the way I could identify with it.
We ended up moving to a house in La Canada, Ca and there began more and more ideas into my head as to what was possible with any lot or terrain. My Dad would always ask us what we thought we should do with the house and allowed us to input many ideas. We had some great times discovering a small waterfall behind trucks of brush, hiking through the hills behind our house, paint balling and gaining an appreciation for deer, mountain lion, coyotes, racoons, iron pumping lizards, and all. I don't think I can truly place a value on those moments.  It was the same house where my Dad inset  the Sun, Moon, and stars into our concrete using flagstone, and colored concrete. It wasn't long and then I was off to College where I gained a larger appreciation for the outdoors, nature, geology, and all that Mother nature could offer.

The first two years of College went by fairly quickly between Snowboarding, Hiking, mountain biking, rock climbing, wake boarding, four wheeling and racing my little convertible rabbit a road limit speeds up to work at Sundance.

Driving through that Canyon twice a day seeded me with a love for solid mass. The near vertical mountains of the Wasatch Front are both breath taking from afar yet the detail up close with waterfalls, rivers, streams, pines, and aspens is something everyone should see for themselves.

Life could not be better!

As life moved forward I was called to serve a volunteer mission for my Church in Sicily.

As much of an amazing time as serving a mission was, I will save and share those experiences for another time.

I will say, that the romance of limestone, cobbles, granite and concrete were whirling in my mind. The Greek and Roman construction throughout this melting pot of an island was and is a living breathing work of art.

Everywhere I went I was captured by my recurring questions, "How did they do that", "How long must that have taken", and "I wonder how old that is".

I have memories from those two years that will never be forgotten but forever be an inspiration.

 Sooner than I could see it coming, I returned to the States and commenced working with my Father before going back to school. From the time I was about 8 years old I have worked with him on and off through many Summers and on many projects. I never had the desire to work for anyone else as nothing else seemed to evolve and move as quickly as did this trade.

I completed my College career at the University of Utah with a bachelors in Finance and Marketing.

Upon graduating I handed my Father a business plan and a marketing plan on his concrete business.

His simple answer upon reading through it....."Do it".

From that moment forward a partnership in All things Concrete was born!

No comments:

Post a Comment